I promise I'm alive. It's just that blogging has shockingly been the last thing on my to-do list each day and I've never reached the end of the list yet. Today I am ignoring all other responsibilities that do not have to do with keeping children alive and am taking a little time out to record the events of my life these last couple of weeks. Has it been weeks? Maybe just days...or maybe it's been months. Who knows, I haven't really been keeping track. I only know that my good friends were beginning to think I'd disappeared and would never return. The following pictures are living proof that I'm alive and kicking though because without my never ending nourishment this little guy would not be growing like a weed!
I am happy to report that I successfully recovered from my bout of mastitis. I was finished with all 7 days of antibiotics when I got to go to Youth Conference. And I'm not being sarcastic. I love Youth Conference. It was so much fun! We stayed in the dorms at the local college, Missouri State University. Walter tagged along with me and loved hanging out in the sling while everyone ooohed and aaahed over him. I had many wonderful helpers who so willingly offered to hold Baby Wally while I pigged out at the buffet in the cafeteria or danced my bootie off on the dance floor. I'm such a nerd, but it was so much fun. I loved when we went to Kids Against Hunger for our service project and packaged meals to be sent to starving children. It's a rice, soy, vegetable and vitamin packet that feeds 6 kids a one cup serving. As a group we packaged 36,509 packets. YEAH! Another highlight was when Jenny Phillips came and did a musical fireside for the youth. We gave all our YW her CD this year because it goes along with the theme and is only $3 per cd when you buy them in packs of five. It was wonderful! Some of the girls felt like they were meeting a movie star!

I think he gets more handsome every year. He is my manly husband and our children's wonderful father.

I couldn't ask for a better guy.
Girl's Camp was fun but definitely a different experience than when I was young. Not saying I'm not young anymore, it's just that now I'm a leader instead....wait, this is not what this story is about. My point is the girls got to do fun stuff like go horseback riding, shoot shotguns, ride on inner tubes behind fast boats, sing karaoke with a microphone, and listen to Taylor Swift while doing crafts. WHAT? Who the heck has electrical outlets available to girls at camp? Well we sure did, at every camp site in fact. Seriously, there was a lot of texting and hair straightening going on right under our very noses! I was appalled by the fact that vehicles were coming and going at all times. Cars, trucks and SUV's were parked not even 10 feet from our tents and not once did I feel disconnected from the outside world. What is this world coming to? The girls didn't know any better though and loved every moment of it....I think. Well, come to think of it they started cheering when we told them we were leaving in an hour instead of the next morning. If it had been me when I was 13 I would have burst into tears at the thought of cutting girl's camp short. Yes, I'm a nerd...and proud of it. I am already plotting an planning on how I can help these girls truly experience the outdoors. I look forward eagerly to singing silly camp songs and long to bring back the tradition of late night campfires where you sing and cheer and yell until your voice is hoarse. I want the girls to feel the camaraderie that comes from being too dirty and stinky to even care. Maybe by the time Claire turns 12 I will have all the details worked out and ready to put into action.

I want my crazy daughters to be able to enjoy Girl's Camp just as much and in the same way that I did. I mean, what fun is it when you go a whole week without dribbling pudding down your chin?

Yes, that's me in the red shirt with my fun and crazy friends.
Enough ranting and raving and whining from me. May I boast a bit? Two things:
I am happy to report that I successfully recovered from my bout of mastitis. I was finished with all 7 days of antibiotics when I got to go to Youth Conference. And I'm not being sarcastic. I love Youth Conference. It was so much fun! We stayed in the dorms at the local college, Missouri State University. Walter tagged along with me and loved hanging out in the sling while everyone ooohed and aaahed over him. I had many wonderful helpers who so willingly offered to hold Baby Wally while I pigged out at the buffet in the cafeteria or danced my bootie off on the dance floor. I'm such a nerd, but it was so much fun. I loved when we went to Kids Against Hunger for our service project and packaged meals to be sent to starving children. It's a rice, soy, vegetable and vitamin packet that feeds 6 kids a one cup serving. As a group we packaged 36,509 packets. YEAH! Another highlight was when Jenny Phillips came and did a musical fireside for the youth. We gave all our YW her CD this year because it goes along with the theme and is only $3 per cd when you buy them in packs of five. It was wonderful! Some of the girls felt like they were meeting a movie star!
William turned 36 on the 12th of June and is looking as great as ever!
I think he gets more handsome every year. He is my manly husband and our children's wonderful father.
I couldn't ask for a better guy.
Walter and I had the privilege of attending Girl's Camp this week.

Sadly, everyone had to pack up and come home a day early because there were tornado warnings coming in until 2am. It was a massive storm I tell ya. Thankfully we made it out before any of the big stuff hit but I have to say I was a tad nervous eating dinner under the big canopy tent with the humongous metal pole reaching heavenward as lightening was striking all around us. On the drive home the rain was so heavy I couldn't see the road a few times. I even screamed twice when the lightening seemed to be hitting our car. I know it didn't actually do this, but it felt like maybe our lives could be in danger. YIKES!
Girl's Camp was fun but definitely a different experience than when I was young. Not saying I'm not young anymore, it's just that now I'm a leader instead....wait, this is not what this story is about. My point is the girls got to do fun stuff like go horseback riding, shoot shotguns, ride on inner tubes behind fast boats, sing karaoke with a microphone, and listen to Taylor Swift while doing crafts. WHAT? Who the heck has electrical outlets available to girls at camp? Well we sure did, at every camp site in fact. Seriously, there was a lot of texting and hair straightening going on right under our very noses! I was appalled by the fact that vehicles were coming and going at all times. Cars, trucks and SUV's were parked not even 10 feet from our tents and not once did I feel disconnected from the outside world. What is this world coming to? The girls didn't know any better though and loved every moment of it....I think. Well, come to think of it they started cheering when we told them we were leaving in an hour instead of the next morning. If it had been me when I was 13 I would have burst into tears at the thought of cutting girl's camp short. Yes, I'm a nerd...and proud of it. I am already plotting an planning on how I can help these girls truly experience the outdoors. I look forward eagerly to singing silly camp songs and long to bring back the tradition of late night campfires where you sing and cheer and yell until your voice is hoarse. I want the girls to feel the camaraderie that comes from being too dirty and stinky to even care. Maybe by the time Claire turns 12 I will have all the details worked out and ready to put into action.
I want my crazy daughters to be able to enjoy Girl's Camp just as much and in the same way that I did. I mean, what fun is it when you go a whole week without dribbling pudding down your chin?

Yes, that's me in the red shirt with my fun and crazy friends.
Enough ranting and raving and whining from me. May I boast a bit? Two things:
1.Walter slept like a dream. (in this tiny tent)

2. I, Marie Bird (aka Pyromaniac, Fire Enthusiast) taught a few girls how to start a fire using only magnesium, flint and steel...no matches! We also loved the battery with steel wool method. It's so gratifying to me to be able to get a good rip roaring fire going without matches. I love it so much!







12 comments:
I am just checking in...was wondering how you are doing.I have read about he flooding and storms in your neck of the woods. Walter is getting so big and really cute. I can't believe they let you take him to camp!! In our stake you can't go if you're even pregnant!! I didn't go this year and will be sad on Monday when everyone is there but me.☺
Cherries look awesome!
Girl's Camp with Wynn was such a life changing experience for me. I loved it so much and have very fond memories. Glad to hear you're feeling better.
She Lives!!!
So glad to have you back! girl's camp sounds fun, although not how I remember it! I'll be going to our Stake's Girls Camp at the end of July, it's nice to know what to expect.
Sounds like you've had some crazy weather! What a way to start off the summer!
ahhh, the big sigh of relief has been sighed...I'm so glad you're back. I missed you on your blog.
yeah, girls camp is so different...and I loved remembering OUR days at camp; priceless!
i'm glad you guys are safe from the crazy weather. I keep hearing about wild storms/random heat spells (us) and other craziness on the news (which I don't watch too often).
glad you're blogging again!
what the crud are you doing pitting cherries with 5 kids to tend to?
loved the pictures...especially the one of claire (or is it Jane?) making some goofy smile that looks EXACTLY like something you would do!
and the homemade pie? I am surrounded by overachievers...you and kelly are out of control in the homemaking dept.
I just got home from girls' camp today! We had a blast! I actually had to come home one day early 'cause we are leaving for CA early tomorrow morning.
We were up at Heber Valley Camp, a huge church girls' camp... President Hinckley had it built and it was amazing! We sang all the silly songs, no one had their phones, no flat irons or hair dryers allowed... very spiritual and VERY fun!! It's like the girls' camp of my youth.
but now I'm exhausted!
Glad your life has been busy and fulfilling! We love Jenny Phillips, the past 2 years we have used her music for our New Beginnings and such... she's great!
`Deb
I'm signed in as my daugher right now... this is Deb Lawson! :)
Marie, Happy Birthday (it's now the 27th, oops)! I hope you had a great day! I have been thinking about you!
Also, in the full version of the anniversary DVD, you do have your 15 sec. of fame. :) he had to put a shorter version on the blog.
love ya!
hope your birthday was soooo happy!!!
maybe you're still celebrating?
Just got back from CA. Had a nice time visiting with your parents at Brittany's reception and then again at the Fun Run on July 4th!
Betsy looks just like you!! She looked beautiful in her bride's maid dress, all the girls did.
Love your family! They are awesome.
Once again, this is Deb Lawson! Not Haley. :)
That is some IMPRESSIVE hail! Happy Birthday!
Post a Comment