Saturday, April 18, 2009

Hi Jenny!

I just want to say howdy to Jenny who is currently living in my previous home sweet home. We seriously feel like it was meant to be that you found our house. We had it up for sale for about 2 weeks when you found us!

Can you believe it folks? It was a match made in heaven. There's something special about that house too. All I'm saying is if you want to add more children to your family...it seems it's the place to be. It worked for us...we moved in with one and moved out with 4. Since moving in Mike and Jenny have added two new additions to their family too! I know it wasn't a perfect house with it's dark stained doors and seafoam green carpet in the basement, but Jenny and I both loved the curtains in the living room and apparently (according to her comment left earlier) my choice of colors for the walls. I think my favorite was the creamy yellow in the back bedroom. I got a can of oopsy paint and after covering one wall realized it was actually neon yellow and would probably give my baby anxiety. I had a can of cream paint that turned gray after drying so I hadn't used it and it was sitting in the basement. I mixed the neon yellow with the creamy gray and it came out the most beautful creamy yellow I'd ever seen. I kinda miss that room.

And don't worry Jenny if you painted over it. When we bought this house the previous owner made a comment about how much my girls were going to love the plum purple room...it was the first one I planned on painting. Hey, everyone has their own style.

I do miss the hydrangea bush, hostas, perennial sunflowers, black eyed susans, BLUEBERRY BUSHES, black raspberries, cherries, peaches, apples, roses, buttercups and lambs ear. The new lambs ear I purchased here flowers and I don't like it as much, except the honeybees loved it and it was pretty amazing watching them at work all summer long. I wonder how the zebra grass I planted along the edge of the house is doing and if the vinca vine has filled in nicely next to the fence. I bet the daffodils are naturalizing nicely and are giving a pretty show about now. It's funny how one can get so attached to a backyard.

I'm slowly making friends with my new yard here in MO. The tulips are blooming, but my daffodils got choked out by the primrose. I think my buttercups did too! I miss the fruit trees but William says it's too buggy for them here. I'm hoping my rhubarb comes back after dieing off last summer. I'm looking forward to the corepsis, wildflowers, iris, cannas, sunflowers and the garden. It's sad because I just know we'll move and I'll have to leave all my plants behind once more. The way I look at it I'm improving the world around me one yard at a time.

It's fun to drive by our first home here in town and see how different it is now. We bought it a week before Claire was born and sold it when we moved to Indiana. It is now a two story home with a shed in the back. They planted grass over the garden and filled in almost all the flower beds too, but they still proudly display the "love doves" we left in the front planter. I think those sweet things have been through 4 owners now. The forsythia bushes I planted along the road 10 years ago have grown from tiny twigs to massive shrubs. I feel prided sweel in my heart everytime I drive by my little babies all grown up. It's amazing what a little time can do.

So, do you get attached to your yard? I think it's almost harder for me to say goodbye to my flowers than it is to my house when I move. When I got home from our trip the first thing I did before going in to the house was take a walk around the yard saying hello to all the plants and complimenting them on their grwoth while I was away. I love those little babies. They're like my children and it brings such joy to see them grow and flourish. I am so excited for summer!

Do you talk to your flowers, trees and shrubs? Am I weird? Wait don't answer that...we already know I am.

Next time I'm in Indiana I'll be sure to stop by and say hello Jenny! I hope you are still loving the house....at least the extra room the full basement gives...oh how I miss my basement!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm a crazy gardener and want to add everything to my yard. We planted so many things in our last house and I bet that most of the yard has gone to waste - I don't think the new owner liked to maintain as much as I did.
I go out every day and work in my yard and talk to the plants too! I almost feel like I have to touch every plant to just connect to what it is doing.
Now when you veggie garden - do you start some seeds indoors first?