Random thoughts:This is a Green Fruit Beetle, also known as a Figeater and when I go outside they are flying all over my backyard and buzzing and they hit me in the head. I didn't go outside in my backyard much today. I don't know why this is italicized.
Yesterday I had a good cry over a book. Do you like to cry? I love to cry over a good book. I mean, I feel so sad, but it feels so good to feel. Does that make sense? Some people hate to cry. I like a good cry. Just get it out and get it done with. Then you feel better.
The book I read was recommended by Shannon and is called These Is My Words. It's fiction and it's in the 1880's so it's pioneerish and I loved it! I think it's best to recommend for married women though. Now that makes you curious doesn't it? No bad stuff ladies...and gents, just married womanly stuff. It took me a day or two to get into it but then I couldn't put it down and finished it in 3 days. Well, couldn't put it down means when I wasn't wrestling a two year old, making dinner, folding laundry or giving orders on how to sweep a floor...then I was reading it. Every spare moment I had I was in that book. AND, I just found out from a friend that it has a sequel. I hope I like it as much as I loved the first one.
If you don't like to cry or be sad then maybe you don't want to read on. Some may think there are certain things that are too personal too share with the blogging world, but I have benefited so much from others' sharing their stories and this is my inexpensive therapy. So if you're here for a pick-me-up...Skip to the pics below for happier and lighter subjects. :)
Tonight I was a little sad about Alma Lee Bird. Six years ago this August we lost a little baby who was just 13 weeks old in my womb. I was 15 weeks along and went in for my regular routine check up and my midwife couldn't find a heartbeat. Claire and Jane were with me because it was the first time that they were going to hear the baby's heartbeat. They were there anticipating a steady rhythm and they were with me at the ultrasound when the technician wouldn't say a word to me. William was in New York I think.
William had been to my previous appointment and I remember how excited we were to hear that little galloping noise and wonder what this little baby was going to be like. Was it a boy or a girl? Would they have a lot of hair when they were born? Would they be silly or somber, quiet or loud, curious or content?
It's amazing how the minute I know I'm pregnant....no, the minute I suspect or even hope I'm pregnant I begin bonding with that little one. I think about them constantly and love them immensely. I can't wait to hold their sweet little body in my arms and love them and nurse them and kiss them and touch their tiny fingers and count their bitty toes. I just love little babies. They are so soft and sweet and gentle and vulnerable and dependent.
Anyways, tonight someone left me a link to someone who had lost their baby at 39 weeks and 4 days. Oh, it made me so sad to think how it must feel to lose a baby when you are just expecting it to enter into your life completely. It makes my heart hurt to think about how it feels to find out your baby has died. I get a burning lump in my throat when I remember how sad it was to let go of those hopes and dreams of that sweet little life inside of me.
One of the saddest moments of losing Alma was waking up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom. I already had found out the baby was dead and had scheduled my delivery for the next day. William had made it home and had cried with me and was there sleeping next to me. My habit when I'm pregnant is to almost constantly have my hand on my belly to feel that hard little lump and feel those tiny little movements. Well, Alma had died before I could ever feel him move, but at night when my bladder was full I could really see the bump in my belly. I would lie there a moment after I woke up to just feel the lump and know there was a baby growing inside me. That last night with Alma was so sad to me because I knew it was the last night I'd ever wake up with his little body inside me. I knew that the next night I'd just be a mushy blob and I didn't want to let go. I laid there as long as I could holding my pee so I could just have those last moments with my unborn baby. William woke up and let me cry about it. I finally got up to use the bathroom and when I got back in bed I couldn't feel my belly as much. It was so hard to let go.
Losing Alma was sad but looking back it was a time when I felt so much love from my Heavenly Father and from my husband and my family and friends. It was such a loving time. It was hard, but we all grew so much closer together through it all. I still miss Alma and still think about what kind of child we would have in our house if he'd lived. Someday we'll know. :) Alma died before we could find out if he was a boy or a girl but we always felt like he was our first little guy.
On a lighter note.....

Today, I farmed out three children and took Claire, cousin Sam and Walter to the Discovery Center. It was so enjoyable to be with two respectful, fun, and funny kids and one sweet little baby. We tested out lots of exhibits, learned many things and had lots of fun. After I get permission from Diane to post pics of her child on the internet I'll update with some more photos,,,,or not. What a fun day!






6 comments:
Oh that story of Alma was beautiful and touching. My heart breaks for any mother to lose a child. I also bond immediately with the baby inside me. Lainey had a twin when I was pregnant with her but the sac didn't have a heartbeat. I was only six weeks and was upset just knowing what could have been. Lainey was reading my pregnancy journal the other day and wanted to talk all about it. The pioneers lost babies so frequently that I don't know how they endured the pain.
If you want a really amazing book to read about 19th century pioneer life on the Western Frontier, I highly recommend "Angle of Repose" by Wallace Stagner. We just read it in my LDS book club and it's one of my favorites books. It's a deep book so not a really quick easy read but well worth the effort. I was looking up words in the dictionary quite a bit with this one. It might take about fifty pages before you get into it but after that I was hooked. Such rich prose with very thought provoking metaphors.
I'm so glad you shared about Baby Alma. I can't believe that was 6 years ago. I remember your phone call like it was last month. I'm glad it's become memory that makes you feel love. I love the way you wrote about it...very sweet.
I can't wait to pick up a good book...that one has been recommended several times.
What a heart wrenching thing you've gone through! I can't imagine what it must be like! So comforting to know you have an eternal perspective about it!
A good cry is always refreshing... your story gave me that today!
Marie-
This is Sarah Webb popping in on your blog. Your family is so cute and you write beautifully. Your story touched me too, so I had to comment.
I ran into your mom the other day. Do you ever make it home to Loomis?
Oh, I didn't know about Baby Alma. Losing a baby has to be one of the hardest things a mother has to go through. thank you for telling us the story, it was very touching.
I have read that book! LOVED it!!
I'm glad you are recommending it, it is a good read!
i never knew that story about little alma. very touching. I never understood why people would be sad over a miscarriage so early on until I got pregnant with Jack. You really do bond from day one!
Sorry I have not been here to comment lately, but I loved all your other recent entries!
Post a Comment