Friday, October 17, 2008

Old Proverbs

"Early to bed and early to rise.....Makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise."

Why is it so dang hard for me to live by this wise counsel from Benjamin Franklin? He was a smart man who accomplished so much in his life. I should gladly follow his advise then....right? I am such a night owl though. Each and every night I have a very difficult time walking down that hall, brushing and flossing my teeth, taking my prenatal vitamin...don't get any ideas, I'm nursing....and then climbing into bed. Don't get me wrong....I LOVE sleep. I adore sleep. Sleep is my my BFF! When I don't get enough of it I'm the grouchy, grumpy mommy who wants to take long naps but can't. So why do I avoid it like the black plague you ask? I have no clue.

Maybe it's because I feel like once my kids are in bed I can actually accomplish something and so I stay up as late as possible to get the most things done (too bad that rarely happens). Maybe it's because on nights when William is out of town, I don't want to crawl into a cold lonely bed and sleep all by my lonesome self...until Walter wakes up for a feeding. Maybe it's because I don't want to be healthy, wealthy and wise (I think I'm doing pretty good on those three...except I'm not wise enough to hit the sack at a decent hour). I don't know! I just wish I could change it.

So any suggestions fellow bloggers? How do I change my bad habit of staying up until the wee hours of the morning? Are you a morning person or night owl like myself? William says after 10pm, my pancreas kicks in and starts secreting caffeine. Whatever that means.

5 comments:

Desta said...

We're stumped on this one too. And when we actually get to bed "early" Owen decides to wake up EVERY HOUR to feed so it really isn't worth it. If you figure it out let me know!

Unknown said...

I think that you are either wired to be a night person or a morning person. I'm a morning. Once I get in the habit of going to bed at 9pm, my body just naturally rises at 5am and I get tons of things done. I can do all my computer work, unload the dishwasher, get a workout in - all before the kids wake around 7am. I simply cannot keep my eyes open past 9pm! So if you are a morning person and got in the wrong pattern - try to set back your waking time by 30 minutes each morning until you are rising when you want to. Then, your body will be so tired at the end of the day, you can't help but be early to bed.

Good luck

Jennifer (Fern) said...

Unfortunately I have no excuse... I'm not a night owl (I can't even keep my eyes open after 11, 9 is my bedtime) and I'm definitely not a morning person, either!
Maybe subconciously your brain is trying to get as much quiet time (without the kids) as it can... to just soak up the solitude...

Anonymous said...

Well i am both.. I stay up till about 12 or 1 in the morning then i have to get up for seminary at 4:30- 5:00 so i cant really help you either..

Lori said...

I'm a night owl. I prefer to do my projects at night and there are so many fun things to do. Movies or shows with my hubbie, blogging, e-mails to send out, journaling, etc. The only thing that helps me get to bed is the excitement of reading a book. (with the exception of my DH!)
Usually within a few pages, I am out.
I seem to get a second wind at night, plus it's the only free time I have for myself it seems. I can finally get things done! :)
I wish I could get to bed before midnight. I also wish we had 48 hour days with kids that slept half of it.