Thursday, January 15, 2009

Picasso, Van Gogh...here we come!

We have officially begun our second semester of homeschooling and I am happy to announce I am no longer drowning. My head is above the surface and I am definitely treading water....maybe even taking a few strokes.

I have been announcing to anyone who inquires that our whole future in homeschooling depends on the feelings, thoughts and going on's (maybe this is not an expression in you life, but it is in ours) of this semester. Our very existence in homeschool land hinges on the state of happiness in our home at the end of the year.

Two days down...and lots more to go. I can tell you one thing for sure...so far we LOVE art class! It is beyond great. Maybe I'm going a little overboard here, but today the lesson was so intriguing that I couldn't help myself and I before I knew it, I was at the table, pencil in hand, drawing right alongside the girls. The assignment was a "Patterned Portrait" and it was supposed to reflect how we felt about school starting again after the long winter break. We loved it because it gave specific instructions, yet every one's results varied. And here are the results.....




I agree, it's a bit white and pasty in the face while leaning toward the woody side in the neck, but overall...very cheerful. What? You don't like my frock? It's snazzy.



Obviously Claire was going for happy. The teeth ended up giving it more of a skeleton look and the eyes are a bit intense, but the tilt of the head and sway of the hair show her true joy.



Jane didn't want to seem too eager, so she kept the features smaller and gave more prominence to the fashion forward shirt, excuse me, layered tank top/shrug ensemble and gorgeous hair tucked behind the ear...a true artist at heart.

Three cheers for the Bird Gals and their artistic abilities!

Tickets for the art show will go on sale end of April....cheese and crackers will be served....more info to follow.

4 comments:

sheena said...

Marie...I can't tell you how many times throughout my day I think of you and how awesome you are for schooling your kids.

you are my hero!!

second....I LOVE this artwork!!! I really hope you're framing them all side by side. they are so cute!

Maureen said...

This post made me smile big.

kelly said...

glad to hear things are going "swimmingly"...and you are breathing above water (that gives me hope!).

The artwork is beautiful! I love Jane's ensemble. very chic!

ali said...

you look like a true schoolmarm in that picture! You should have added a halo because you must be an angel to be home-schooling!