Sunday, August 30, 2009

My Secret Weapon

Don't you just love Sunday naps? What you don't get one? You're kidding me. Well, if you have a 2 year old who doesn't nap, then I get it...because when Kate stopped napping somewhere in her two's there was no rest for me until she calmed down a bit.

By calming down I mean stopped destroying every clean room in the house. It's almost as if she has something in her head telling her order and tidiness is wrong. I can just see her thinking behind those mishevious eyes, "Oh, the bookcase is organized? That doesn't seem right...let's pull out all the books and spread them across the floor. Oh, the toys are in the cute basket in the corner? I should dump them out and go along my merry way. Clothes in the dresser? How absurd! Flung about the room...much better." It was madening I tell ya. We dubbed her "Mrs. Destructo", "The One-Man Wrecking Crew", "Big Brutus", "Crazy Kate" and the list goes on. Thank goodness that girl grew up a bit and is mostly out of that stage. We still have our days, but for the most part she has come to accept some order and cleanliness and can be called "Sweety Pie" most days.

So Kate is almost four now and I get my beloved nap almost every week while Walter sleeps and the other four destroy the house. Now, if I opt to snooze on the couch then the damage is significantly less, but whoa...let me tell ya if I zonk out in the bedroom it looks like a tornado hit. I've had a whole bag of Raisin Bran dumped and spread on the living room floor. I've had milk ruining the finish on my dining room table. I've had...oh you know what I've had...because you've had it too. It never ceases to amaze me how much food can be thrown about during a short nap.

So, today I opted for the couch snooze. I was close enough to the action to bark orders in my half-asleep state to keep the mess at a minimum. Somehow my kids got me to consent to letting them watch "Moses" which is the really long version of "The Ten Commandments" we all used to watch on television when we were little on Sunday evenings (with Charleston Heston). It was turned up way too loud and completely disturbed my slumber, but all is well because who can complain when your six year old's favorite movie (besides Star Wars A New Hope) is "Moses"? Thanks Grandma C for the ever growing "favorite movies".

Dear Sunday Nap,

Thank you for the energy you gave me to plan out our weekly schedule for homeschooling/chores/sports and even share my napping secrets with my friends! I hope you never disappear from my life again. You are truly a joy! Don't be sefish with your gift. Please be so kind to visit all my loved ones too. Everyone needs a good Sunday nap.

Love, Marie

2 comments:

Mamasita said...

I want a Sunday- Friday nap.
The thought of home schooling makes me cringe!
You are a champ!

ali said...

i'm with kasey. sunday through Friday sounds great to me.

good for you that you can sleep with all the chaos going on around you. do you think I could get away with that with a 3 year old destructo and a 1.5 year old follower of destruction? not yet....

well....ode to the nap. as long as somebody is getting one, I'm happy.