This morning I was singing to myself, "I think the world is glorious and lovely as can be!" while I ran on the leaf covered trail under a canopy of trees. The wind was blowing and Fall was accompanying my bumpy voice as I trotted along. It was beautiful I tell ya. Where did Summer go? It's been so cool this last month that I feel as if Summer slipped out the back door without ever even saying goodbye. I keep thinking it's going to pop its head back in and have a little party, but no, it's been cool days followed by chilly nights.
So in the sunshine and crisp air I ran along the trail feeling my heart pumping faster and my breath becoming shorter. I turned around and headed back to the car repeating to myself, "Only one and a half more miles....only one and a half more miles." It seemed to be dragging on forever. When would I reach the farm road that marked the last half mile?
What was that?
Up ahead a hawk was skimming along the gravel trail. It swooped up into the trees and waited for me to catch up. I watched for it in the trees but without my noticing it had slipped back onto the trail and was gliding along only inches off the ground. It was the most beautiful thing I could have asked for on my run. If I can't have a friend to run and chat with then a hawk is a pretty good substitute. I even entertained the idea of it befriending me and landing on my arm, but then thought better of it as I imagined it's talons digging into my soft flesh. I realized I was pleased as punch to just be its company. Over and over again, it flew as it led me down the trail until I reached the blacktop and my run was over. Then it soared up into the blue sky and away it went.
Hawks have always reminded me of my brother Neil, so I immediately gave him a call and shared my wonderful experience because I knew he would appreciate it. He said it was a sign of a good day.
I agree.
Wednesday, September 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






2 comments:
That's pretty amazing! I wish I had a hawk to keep me company on my one and a half mile run. Of course I was running for credit in a class, not just because I felt like exercising like you do. By the way, cute new background!
it would take more than a hawk for me. On second thought, the piercing talons might actually be motivation!
Post a Comment