Saturday, May 7, 2011

Homeschoolers Unite!

Anytime I attend a "home school" activity, William feels the need to give me a pep talk before I walk out the door. It is short and sweet. "Homeschoolers unite!" William cheers as he pumps his fist into the air. I always laugh. He really does crack me up. I am a lucky gal to have such a wonderful husband.

I arrived home this evening from our annual "homeschool convention" to find a mess in every room. Let me rephrase. I came home to find a party in every room. There was a surprise party being set up in the garage for Kate's Webkinz Howlie. There was party going on for Kate's Webkinz Howlie in the living room. All 20 of Kate and Walter's animals were invited and in attendance. There was evidence of a party in the kitchen with dishes, popcorn and half-eaten apples lying about. The dirty clothes and wet towels were having a party in the bathroom and the bedrooms were long forgotten with their mounds of dress-up clothes, crafts and toys. To my surprise, I learned the entire house had been cleaned twice within the last 12 hours. Hey, what can I say.... we love parties around here.

Thankfully, my mind and heart were full of the fabulous messages I heard today in various classes. I felt rejuvenated. I was reminded of the reasons why I personally chose to homeschool and my love for my children was renewed. I remembered that we are all different and we are all working to improve ourselves each day..

Together, we tidied up a bit and decided to leave the rest for later. I decided to accept the fact that I will wake up to a not-so-clean house on Mother's Day. To be honest, it only takes a few minutes to mess up, so does it really matter that it starts off a tad messy in the morning? Everyone got baths, pajamas, and goodnight hugs and kisses. I'm looking forward to a pleasant Mother's Day with my six beautiful kiddos.

3 comments:

Lori said...

Marie, I'm going to be homeschooling my kids starting in the fall. I'm very nervous and excited! I've wanted to do this ever since my oldest child first entered Kindergarten but couldn't take that leap of faith. Now I'm ready! :)

Any tips on curriculum you can share? I'm planning on doing the "Math U See" program but on the rest of the subjects I still need to do some searching...

ali said...

oh marie...you are a much better woman than me! this is why you can homeschool AND have 6 kids!!

Emma said...

Marie,

I'm not really sure what Webkinz is, but this post made me laugh. Was Howlie having a Birthday? is Howlie a virtual friend? Kate and Walter sound like they know how to have a good time. :)
Since I don't have any kiddos to homeschool, I'm going to Peru to teach orphans how to read.