Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Late Night Ramblings

Oh, my baby is so cute! I look at her pictures on my blog and I get all gushy and want to go wake her up so I can kiss her cheeks, but then reality hits me. A sleeping baby is a happy baby. A tired baby is NOT a happy baby. So, I wait till she wakes for her midnight snacking and then I kiss her cheeks and squeeze her little sweet body and she whines for milk so I give it to her. When she has had her fill, I kiss her chubby little cheeks some more, snuggle my kisses into her sweet warm neck and eat her up until I'm worried I might awaken her. Then I lay her warm limp body back in the cold crib and wrap her up in cozy blankets so she'll sleep for a few more hours, five if I'm lucky. How is it possible that she is almost 11 months old? Do you realize this means she'll be one in about six weeks? Little Elsie has five teeth, can take about five steps without falling down and can do at least five tricks on demand. She's the cutest thing I ever saw.

Today was a good day, but oh boy, Sunday and Monday were not so great. I think children decide to test us when they know we are weak. They wonder if we are still gong to follow through, keep our word and stick to the rules. Why do they do that? Why can't they just believe? Today they were believers and it was a much better day all around. I'm sighing with relief.

I know it sounds silly, but I love picking up trash and today I got to participate in our own little family trash pick-up along the highway. Thank goodness for Cub Scouts. Hank, Kate and Wally are awesome trash picker-upers. We got a large black trash bag completely full and the kiddos now know what beer smells like. Apparently, our highway is THE PLACE to chuck your empty, or full beer bottles or cans out your window.

So last night Hank yanked out a tooth and was sure to show it to me before bed and let me know it was under his pillow. This morning at 6:30 he informed me that the tooth fairy forgot to come. Dang it. I told him maybe she'd still come because the sun wasn't really all the way up yet. He told me he brought the tooth with him into my room and was now under the pillow on my bed. Ha, ha. So tonight, as Kate was heading up to bed, she informed me that there are two quarters under my pillow and maybe I should give them to Hank because the tooth fairy forgot to come. I assured her she would remember tonight. I've got some thinkers in my house for sure.

I don't think I've shared, so I will....Kate finished her 100 reading lessons and is practically a pro! It is amazing to hear her read a story to Walter before bed. She is sounding out words and doing awesome.

I still have to post pics of Claire's 13th birthday. I promise it happened. And now the teenager is growing like a weed. Shhhh. I think she might pass me up. Seriously, she is getting tall!

One more thing. I have a dilemma. My toe is healing from kicking a soccer ball at the same time as another adult and is insisting on being babied. I am craving desserts. Do you see the problem? I have never had weight issues, but I can see how this could very easily lead to one. Hmmmm.

Nighty, night.

2 comments:

emma c said...

I can't believe that Claire is 13. :) I wish I could watch Kate reading a story to Walter.

emma c said...

Oh, it is amazing how fast Eleanor is growing. I'm glad i got to spend some time with her while you were here in December.I'm usually not a sucker for babies, but she's sooo charming. What a blessed baby, to be so loved.