Thursday, July 26, 2012

Doula in Training

Today was my day to be a doula. Eeeee! My very first time, if you don't count the time I was 9 1/2 and was a doula for my mom when she delivered my little sister Betsy. I guess you could count it, because I was rubbing her feet and changing chux and helping to soothe her during contractions while my dad read the Reader's Digest. So, on my way to the hospital after getting the call that my friend was heading there because her water broke an hour earlier, I called Betsy. I was so excited! It felt like I was going to have a baby, but I wasn't in any pain. I was nervous and excited and couldn't get there fast enough.

And you know what?


I didn't.


That's right. My first chance to help another mother in labor and see a baby born, except for mine and Betsy, and I was 2 minutes late. I glanced at the clock as I went into the elevator. It read 5:30pm. When I checked in at triage they said the door would most likely be locked because she has just delivered at 5:28pm.



Bummer.


But that sweet little baby was so cute and chubby and adorable, that I forgave her instantly for not staying inside for just 5 more minutes. She just couldn't wait to arrive on this glorious day. Mom did so well without any help and stayed calm and collected through it all. Water breaking to delivery, two hours. She is amazing. Maybe I'll post a pic of her wee one later with permission. For now, I'll let her spread the happy news.


Anyone else want a doula? I would love to try again.

2 comments:

Betsy said...

You were so close! Sorry you didn't make it in time. maybe some day you can help me :)

emma said...

Youll get another chance. :) While your dad read Readers Digest....lol...