I know two posts in one day let alone one evening is excessive, but while sitting here at my computer I had a good scare! And, worst of all, I'm still scared. Every little sound I hear is a bump in the night. I'm freaked out!
It wasn't anything big and it could be nothing but here's how it all went down. I had finished up my post for my lovely blog and then began perusing through the blogs of friends, acquaintances and complete strangers. It's a beautiful evening so I had my windows open.
Picture me...sitting at the computer in my kitchen with the light on. Out my two huge kitchen windows I see blackness with houses in the background with a couple windows lit behind pulled curtains. Out the two huge living room windows I see the same thing. And out the small kitchen window above the sink, basically the same thing. Semi-private? Well no, not really. I guess I look like a fish in a fishbowl. I really should pull my blinds, especially when William is at the church playing basketball, Betsy is in town playing mud football and I'm home ALONE with four kids sleeping soundly. So, on to my scary story.
I'm just clicking away when I clearly and distinctly hear the gate (which happens to be on the other side of the wall that my computer is on) click shut. VERY DISTINCTIVE noise. No mistaking it. PANIC! First I wait...frozen in my seat hoping it was in my imagination. Then reality sinks in and I realize it's for real. I really heard it. I quickly glance at the back door hoping it's shut. Thank goodness it is! So then I hope maybe it's William. Maybe I was so engrossed in blogging that I didn't hear the garage door open, his car pull up and him get out. Maybe all I heard was him closing the gate. So I call out, "Willliam?" No answer...darn it!
Acting as though I'm not scared so the intruder will see just who he is dealing with I calmly walk to the back door and lock the deadbolt. Oh, I wish I had shut all the windows and blinds earlier. WHY ME?
I dial William's cell phone......no answer. I contemplate calling the police. I feel silly because maybe just maybe we left the gate open and it shut when a gust of wind blew against it. Is it windy out? I'm not willing to get that close to the window to see. I rush through the possibilities and quickly realize I have a strong burly neighbor across the street who's wife will gladly loan him to me. I ring her cell phone and in seconds she has him trotting across the street with flashlight in hand to rescue me. While he's in my backyard checking in all the corners (how do men have the guts? It almost seems like they like it. I would be so nervous, but he didn't seem to mind) I hurriedly shut all the windows, locked them, pulled the blinds and then double checked the locks.
I then met he and his wife in the front yard. He said he couldn't find anything and his wife said she didn't see anyone hop the front fence. I said, with obvious doubt in my voice that is was probably just the wind. I tried to lock the gate but then realized William must have moved the padlock that was on the fence....or was it the intruder? They said to call if I needed anymore help. The thought crossed my mind to ask if he could just stay and watch tv on my couch until William got home. I put the thought out of my mind, thanked him for his bravery and ran back into the house quickly closing the garage door wishing I had an indoor guard dog (or least my small hand gun) to protect me until William arrived home.
So here I sit, windows locked, blinds pulled, doors dead bolted... counting down the hours until William or Betsy drive up. I just hope the next sound I hear coming from outside is the garage door opening...not glass breaking, or crow bar against garage door prying it open, or window screen being slashed, or STOP! I'm freaking myself out. Every noise I hear is the intruder. I'd like to go read my book, but supposedly it's about a vampire named Edward and I have a feeling it might freak me out more. I think I might risk it anyway. I've got to get away from the computer, it's sucking me in! Goodnight and sweet dreams. I hope you're not home alone alone wondering if you have an intruder too.
Tuesday, October 2, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






10 comments:
thanks alot Marie! I AM at home, alone with 4 kids sleeping soundly, but fortunately, I'm reading this to my mom and she's keeping me from being scared. What a crazy story!!! Don't you hate it when your imagination gets the best of you? I hope all is well and you are safe and sound in your bed!
Enjoy Twilight and say goodbye to your kids and home for a few days. It will definitely suck you in. If an intruder does come, you either won't notice him or you'll just be mad because he interrupted the book. Tell me what you think of it (if you survive your night alone...)
Kelly - Sorry for scaring you too! I helped my mom get a google account last night. It took about 2 minutes. Maybe you could walk your mom through the process too. All she needs to do is click on the blue Sign up here and fill in the info. VERY EASY! I would love to get her fun comments.
Desta - I have started reading and suddenly 156 pages have flown by, but my problem is I'm pregnant and my eyes seriously do not function after I am so tired. I am enjoying it though!
Hey, at least you were smart enough to get help! That in itself is brave!
I don't know how you do it with WIlliam gone so much. I am a HUGE wimp when troy is out of town.
Yikes!! So you never found out what it was? Looks like you have a ghost. JK
William has assured me it was one of the irresponsible children who forgot to shut the gate when throwing away the plastic bags from soap sliding on the tramp and the wind must have blown it shut. Let's just hope he is right. Don't worry, I've got Betsy with me now...though she sleeps so soundly I don't know if even a blood curdling scream could wake her.
This has no relevance to your post, but we changed our blog address, since it was bugging us. It is now http://joshandjenivey.blogspot.com/
Sorry about the inconvenience!
Love your blog!
Fern
I have scared myself so many times! I hate being home by myself...ug. Glad you are doing well.
Sounds like a good lead in to an Alfred Hitchcock movie - used to love to watch those when i was a kid. Glad everything turned out ok.
Post a Comment