Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Happy Birthday Jane and Hank!

To be completely honest, I declared myself crazy Sunday night when I realized while climbing into bed that the ONLY preparations I had made for Jane's birthday and party were baking the cake, purchasing the presents and mailing eight invitations. Who did I think would put the rest of it together? What was I going to do when 1:00 rolled around and guests arrived for the lovely swim and tea party?

As I drifted off to sleep my mind began organizing the list that needed to be completed in order to have a successful party. To top it all off William reminded me he had to fly at 5:30am and would be home around 11am.

I have no recollection of William leaving the house (he says he kissed be goodbye) but thankfully my eyes popped open around 8am and Jane was still sleeping soundly. With the help of Fabulous, Helpful Claire I got the streamers hung, the cake frosted, the table set and the waffles made before Jane made her way into the kitchen. We had a lovely birthday breakfast and then hurried everyone out the door for our last minute party purchases.

At Dollar General (they've got everything from Vienna Sausages to Nail Polish Remover to Pillow Cases) we got candy and doo dads for the party favor bags, items for the scavenger hunt, pop and some balloons. Too bad they were latex and too bad I'm allergic to latex and didn't realize all this until I was blowing them up. I decided to risk an allergic reaction so Jane could have her hanging down balloons from the chandelier. For good measure I washed my hands and face and rinsed out my mouth. Thankfully no rash appeared and I seemed to be breathing fine because I don't even know what I'm supposed to do if I have a reaction.

Back to my story....Our second stop was Murfins Supermarket where we picked up grapes, strawberries, juice and candles. Why doesn't anyone in our small town carry trick candles? Jane has been anticipating trick candles since Claire turned eight and had them on her cake. She was sorely disappointed when her candles went out easily and without a hitch at her seventh birthday, so I HAD to have trick candles. I would not let her down. A quick phone call to Dad who had landed back in Springfield after picking up Country Music Singer John Anderson in Tennessee solved the problem. After stopping at three different stores in the big city he finally found the sparking, smoking, re-lighting candles and even picked up some pink napkins too.

At 12:10 with 50 minutes left I found myself nursing a Walter in the bedroom while coming up with cute clues that rhymed for the scavenger hunt. Somehow, miraculously by 12:50 I had the presents wrapped, the clues written and ready, the party favors un-packaged, the tea cups out, punch made, strawberries and grapes washed, old fashioned baked mac and cheese baked, balloons hung and extra deodorant applied.


We started with a dance party, had tea in the parlor (I mean eat-in dining area), opened presents...Jane's friends couldn't understand why she was so excited about a flashlight. They all seemed so confused when she was bouncing in her chair with joy after pulling it out of the gift bag. Hank had gotten on for his birthday last year and she's been wanting one ever since. I think her favorite gift though was her very own digital camera. She even took it with her on her first day of school....sang Happy Birthday, blew out the TRICK candles, had lemon cake and rainbow sherbet, went on a scavenger hunt and then ended with swimming and eating candy from the party favor bags. As the last guests left, Grandma B and Papa arrived to wish Jane a Happy Birthday and gave her a set of rubber stamps which she and Claire have already used a couple of times.

After B and Papa left we at a quick dinner, went to Meet the Teacher Night, made it back home, had Family Home Evening, and bedtime by 10:00. I guess that' better than 11:00.

Tuesday morning we let Hank open his presents before the girls left for their first day of school. He seemed really excited about the foam swords, Star Wars figurines and baseball glove, but somehow Kate had him convinced to play Polly Pockets after only 30 seconds of sword fighting.

After walking Claire and Jane to the bus....I can't believe they are in 4th and 3rd grades already...


William headed off to a job interview....we'll see....and Hank, Kate, Walter and I went to the zoo.

Our family rule is on your even birthdays you get a friends party and on odd birthdays you get family time. Hank was happy to be the decision maker at the zoo and got to tell us which animals we would be stopping at and which one he chose to skip on his birthday. He carried my camera (it has accidental coverage) and took pictures of his favorite animals.

As a special treat we got to feed the giraffes and ride the train.

After the zoo we did some grocery shopping to stock up on lunch items that I somehow forgot we needed for the first day of school (hmmm I wonder what I was thinking?) and then topped off our day in town with an ice cream cone from Braums.

Claire and Jane arrived home shortly after we did (how did eight hours pass so quickly?) . I'm delighted to report fabulous first days except Jane lost her birthday necklace on the playground. Her teacher said they would have an extra recess in the morning so the class could hunt for it. I like this teacher!!!

Hank helped me mix up his cake. We baked it, frosted it and then promptly ate it...after singing happy birthday and blowing out the cowboy boot candles.



I changed my clothes, ran a brush through my hair, applied extra deodorant (am I so gross?) kissed Willum goodbye and ran out the door with Walter for one last girl's night out with Julie and friends before she moves on Thursday. I'm so sad to see her go but I'm excited for the adventures that await their family in Utah.

Tomorrow is my day of rest, errr clean up and then I've got mutual on Thursday and Temple Trip on Saturday....I'm happy to report I found someone to go to the temple and watch Walter for me....YEAH!

I hope my kids remember their birthdays as fun times and have fond memories of all the special things I try to do for them. Being a mom can be exhausting at times but I wouldn't trade it for anything. I love my sweet kiddos. Here's to another fun, crazy, entertaining year!

6 comments:

Troy said...

why am I exhausted from reading this? You are out of control. You know where you went wrong with Jane's party? the homemade mac and cheese! That extra stress would send me over the edge!

way to go super mom! You may not feel like it, but you should!

Troy said...

you know dad is me. ali.

Marie said...

The mac and cheese was pulled from the freezer and put in the oven. I made it three weeks ago and saved it for when I needed it. :) It was more for me anyways. I scarfed it down while the girls were daintily sipping away.

The Close's Place said...

I can't believe you can still find time to blog with so much happening in your day. What a wonderful mom you are making sure that your children have such special days on their b-days.

Thanks for sharing your good ideas.

kelly said...

seriously? how can one post leave me exhausted and rejuvenated at the same time? you ARE an amazing woman!! a little bit crazy too, but aren't we all? I guess we have to be to do all the stuff we do, right? :)

It sounds (and looks)like they had great birthdays. we do the every-other-year-party too...it's the BEST!

DebLawson said...

Yeah, I'm pretty much out of breath after reading that post! You are one fantastic mom! I know the kids will remember their birthdays forever... especially those trick candles and the flashlight!
You are awesome and I totally need a nap now.

:)