Monday, August 4, 2008

It's Super HOT!!! (slightly revised 8/7)





Partly Cloudy 84°F
92°F 75°F 74% 10.0
miles
29.89 up
inches
From SW
3mph

Fair 81°F
86°F 74°F 79% 10.0
miles
29.91 up
inches
From SW
5mph

Fair 80°F
80°F 73°F 79% 10.0
miles
29.92 up
inches
From SW
5mph

84°F
Feels Like
92°F
Updated Aug 4 10:45 p.m. CT

The above weather report was for 9pm, 10pm and 11pm tonight!

Tonight I went running with Angie and can I just say I almost DIED? It was so HOT! We left around 9:20pm and ran for about half an hour in what felt like 92 degree weather (no seriously, the heat index says it feels like 92 even though it's actually only 84...who am I kidding...ONLY 84...it's 9:00 at night!!!!). We are actually under a heat advisory warning until 9pm tomorrow night. Does this mean I am not smart? Maybe...but I'm desperate! About a year ago I got pregnant and couldn't run anymore and then my running partner Amy had to move away in November to far off Washington where it's perfect running weather but not so good swimming weather. I'm getting off track. So Amy left me which makes me so sad because we were perfect running buddies.

Here are just a few reasons why I say this:

  • We were the same speed
  • We had stuff to talk about while we ran (like the crazy stunts our kids had pulled at bedtime the previous night, what gifts to purchase for our husband on Father's Day, ways to get a three year old to actually sit down and eat lunch and even our mysterious mood swings)
  • Our kids played together while my fabulous husband or Wonderful Auntie Di supervised
  • We were both flexible yet committed
It was great! Three times a week we'd make the time to run about three miles together (each day...I was pretty proud of my nine mile weeks). So Amy left, I had my baby and then I attempted to start running again. Walter is now 5 months old and I've probably been running about 5 times, alright maybe 10. Pathetic! The first few times I ran I felt like my backside was going to bounce off which was actually a nice thought. Once my muscles remembered they had a job and a duty to stay in place for me running got a little easier but not any more enjoyable. Running by myself is just monotonous. The whole time I check my watch and think about how much longer I have to torture myself. When the heat wave hit here I basically just gave up.

UNTIL....Saturday when Angie mentioned to Roxanne at a wedding reception where they were serving cake and punch together that she wished she had a running partner. Roxanne knew I've been missing Amy and suggested she ask me if I was up for it. Eventually, I boogied over to the serving table (there was music playing and I couldn't help myself) to grab some delicious orange sherbet punch and the rest is history!

I thought the run went pretty well considering it was 74% humidity (and rising), 84 degrees, I have allergies, sweat was pouring off my body and my legs felt like jello. It was great. We're going to try again for Wednesday night. Hopefully the weather tames a bit and we won't feel like we've just gotten out of a steamy Indian sweat house. I think I've finally cooled down enough (after taking an ice cold shower and drinking lots of water) to hit the sack.

I'm curious? Do you like running :
  • in the morning?
  • in the evening?
  • when the mood strikes?
  • only in your dreams?

6 comments:

Jennifer (Fern) said...

I LOVE running! But I didn't at first... 2 months of muscle agony! Although, I waited until my baby was almost a year before starting... so you have a head start!
I really enjoy it in the evenings, but found that I'd stress and loath it the whole day in advance... and I'm always so exhausted at night. So, I switched to the mornings. I am NOT a morning person, but it helps me to fully wake up and start my day right. I get a lot more done on those days! And I don't have to worry about the kids... they're all asleep.
Now, just so you know, I physically can NOT jog very well if it's over 80 degrees! But in the mornings I don't usually have that problem. So, mix it up... you're the only one who knows what will work for your body and your schedule.

Unknown said...

I'm a runner. I ran until I was about 17 weeks pg, then stopped and I started again when the baby was 3 months old. I only run in the early morning - anytime from 5am to 7:30am. Anytime after 8am and it's too late. The sun is up and shining in our eyes and it is getting too hot(Chase goes with me in the jogging stroller and Chili the dog runs alongside me). We usually run about 3-4 miles.

good for you to try to run when you are able to do it - I would never ever attempt if the temp was above 72. Northwest woos.

kelly said...

you know me...i'm addicted. I love it, although now I"m not in training and it's hard to get out there if my training schedule doesn't "tell" me to.
But I still love to go in the A.M. when I can!
good job getting back into it!

ali said...

i love it, I do. but it's so hard. therefore, I kinda despise it. Once in a while I dream about it. I like doing it because I need to.

Oh...can't you see I'm undecided?!?!

Nicole said...

Wow, what a great running blog. Do I love running? I think I'm addicted. Before I had Tanner I loved to run. Now, it's my pure outlet and MY TIME ALONE! Right now I'm logging 80 miles a week with 2 marathons in the next two months. I run around 5:15 am about 10 mi/day with a 20-23 mile run on Friday mornings (4:00 am) with a new running buddy, Nancy (she's training for a 31 mile adventure race). Being with a 2 year old all day has made me appreciate the FREEDOM of being on the road even more.

Jessica said...

I LOVE to run, too! Wow! It must be a trait that you secretly pick up on when making friends. I love to run early in the morning, but since kids it's just been too hard to get out of bed. I like to run late at night. Right now, my running buddy is my dog, Chance. But he is 8 now and the potty breaks are becoming too frequent to justify it as a run. I need a running buddy!