Saturday, February 2, 2008

Lot's of blah, blah, blah......

I apologize to the five people who read my blog for not posting for a week. The truth is I feel so much pressure to have pictures (recent ones), something funny that happened to me to talk about and a clever way of telling all about it. It just ain't happening. My problem is I read Sheena's and Ali's and Andrea's and Paige's and Celia's and Kelly's and the list goes on and on and they are so entertaining. I should just become a professional commenter and tell all my stories on other friend's blogs. This is going to be really long, because I just feel like blabbing, so feel free to leave now and read someone's blog who entertains while telling their life story. Really, my feeling won't be hurt. I promise.

Enough whining. Today was...busy. First of all, I have to say that I LOVE shopping at thrift stores. I don't care if it's Goodwill, the D.A.V Thrift Store, The Council for the Blind thrift store, Other Mothers, The Children's Orchard, The Salvation Army or The EZ Resale Shop. I LOVE them all. It is such a high for me to browse and look and try on and find some AMAZING deals on things I didn't even know I needed. Of course, there are times when I actually find something I am looking for, but more often than not it's those hidden treasures that are the best!

Today at The Salvation Army, I found a Santa Fe Quesadilla Maker for $3.00!!!!! If you don't know what this is then you are missing out! I used it tonight for a delicious, quick dinner and loved it. When I told William about my success over the phone he had to ask,"Did you wash it first?" I responded with, "NO, I figured any germs on it from the previous owner probably cooked out with the first quesadilla I made... OF COURSE I washed it you silly!" At the same store I also found a mini pizza cutter for 50 cents which I used to cut my quesadillas with. I also found some measuring spoons for 50 cents and the cutest little Old Navy zip up hoodie for a 3-6 month old boy for only 75 cents! My total was $5.00 and I walked out of there higher than a kite!

At the Children's Orchard, I found 7 adorable little boy onesies for 99 cents each and a pair of Crocs flip flops for Claire this summer. They were $4.99 (a bit pricey) but usually these babies are $29.99! I also found an item that I am contemplating returning when I go into town for my next doctor's appointment on Wed. It was the most expensive item I purchased today and it has a list price of $65.83 but I found it for only $14.99. If anyone has ever used one or heard about them, please give me your advice or opinion. It's a infant co-sleeper by The First Years that goes in the bed with you. The theory is that your new born baby has a "safe" place to sleep in your very own bed. The problem I discovered when I go it home, is that I don't know if there will be room in the bed for my husband and I if the co-sleeper is in there too. We have a queen bed. Are these only good for king beds? Maybe I'll only use it when William is out of town and there is extra room. Maybe I should just take it back and have the baby sleep in my bed snuggled up in my stinky armpit like I did for all my other sweet ones. The bassinet is right next to the bed anyways, and really only gets used when I am awake enough to remember to put the baby back in it after they are done nursing. OK, you talked me out of it. I'll return it. What was I thinking anyway? That it was a cool new invention and that maybe I'd somehow magically be conscious enough to lift the baby into the co-sleeper. Not happening.

The reason I was out and about browsing second hand stores with no children in tow was because today was my hospital tour and infant cpr class. The class instructor wanted to strangle me for all the questions I asked. Poor lady was so sweet to keep asking if anybody had anymore questions when all she really wanted to do was tell me to "zip it!" I delivered at this hospital 9 1/2 years ago, but couldn't remember much except the negative from last time. I still have some follow-up phone calls to make concerning some of their "policies". Anyway, I had an hour and a half between classes and it was pure bliss! Thank you to my pesky brother-in-law Ross (who does not read my blog) for watching my four kiddos plus his four kiddos on his first day home from seven days at work. SORRY! I promise Kate has not had an accident in over a week. I don't know why she insists on not making it to the potty at your house. Maybe she was having too much fun. :)

Is anybody still reading? You don't have to. This is really all for me. It's my journal and my therapy. I'm all alone here. Kelly is out dining alone after a day of cleaning and not available by phone. William is in the Florida Keys on a private island where it is 75 degrees! Tomorrow is our 12 year anniversary and I get to ready 4 children for church, attend choir, have a wrestling match during sacrament meeting, ask the Mia Maids to stop talking 20 times in 20 minutes, go to grandma and grandpa's and try to explain to my children why Uncle Ross watches football on Sunday when they are not allowed to watch any tv but church videos. Sundays can be a bit exhausting. I better go get some sleep. I am such a night owl!

6 comments:

Celia Fae said...

Dear Marie,

I think we should all give up on the pressure to be a certain way and just blog how we want to. I'm glad you did because I enjoyed reading what you wrote.

I used to be able to frequent second hand stores, but it seems like I don't get to go to any stores these days. I can't imagine how freeing it was to actually take a class and learn something!

Sorry about your man being out of town for your anniversary. That happens to me all of the time.
I'm over it. Sunday alone is crummy though. All of the other families together pretending to be happy....

There. I left a comment almost longer than your post. So there.

ali said...

marie. i am so glad you love children's orchard. I just went on Saturday and spent 100 dollars and got Lucy an entire wardrobe for a year. All Gap, Old Navy, Gymboree, Janie and Jack brands! I love that place! I too found a pair of pink crocs and a red polka dotted rain jacket that I LOVE!

ali said...

oh and about the co sleeper. I couldn't do it. I don't sleep a wink when the baby is in our room. I await the day baby goes into it's own room! good luck.

The Griffins said...

Marie. You are HILARIOUS! Seriously, just when you think you aren't entertaining, you are! How are you? I was so glad to hear from you! My labor is under control... for now. I have two weeks left on my "anti-contraction" pill, if you will. Then, it's all up to her after that. It seems like every time I go into her closet just to look around at all the pink things she owns, I start contracting. I think she's ready for dress up! :] I'm glad to hear you're doing well! Congrats on the 12 years! How fun is that!?

the wrath of khandrea said...

you underestimate yourself! i laughed out loud at least four times reading this. i think once i even got some spit on my computer screen. you named thrift stores i have never even heard of. impressive. congrats on the alone time for shopping.
solitary sunday. that's what i call it when i have to drag the crew to the pew alone. but i try to sit by the older ladies whose husbands are in the bishopric, because i know they'll be sitting alone. i pretend they would LOVE to help me with my kids. although, i noticed one duck and hide under her bench last week when i came in without my husband. weird, huh?

hey, your baby is almost here. better get your armpits ready. (that was the comment you made where i spit on my screen. too funny!)

DebLawson said...

I would take that co-sleeper thing back, too! I don't think you're going to use it much, so don't waste your $$$. Great deals you found, though!
Your blog is wonderful, don't put yourself down! Mine isn't so ultra exciting and I don't even care!! It's just a fun way to keep in touch with family and friends, that's how I look at it.
I simply cannot put anymore into my blog than I do now (which isn't much) but with my life... there's just no way!!
You just take good care of yourself! This baby boy will be here before you know it!
:)