Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Baby Blessing, Grandpa's Visit and Living Debt Free

On Sunday, May 4th 2008 Walter Russell Bird was given a name and a beautiful blessing by his father in church.
Grandpa Jerry was here too so that made it even more special. Of course, like usual I was pretty stressed about everything going smoothly. Would we be to church on time? Could I get everyone dressed and looking somewhat acceptable for the pictures? Would Walter be fed and burped? Would we be able to avoid a diaper blowout during the first fifteen minutes of church and make it through the blessing in the actual blessing outfit? Would I get enough pictures to make a scrapbook page with?

I wish I could just learn my lesson and relax. Everything went perfectly. Walter was fed, clean, happy and adorable. He actually slept through the whole thing. I made it through church
and dinner then collapsed on my bed to fight off the mastitis that always rears it's ugly head when I get too worn down (the stress I create for myself doesn't help). I slept until 10pm, had a snack, went back to bed and stayed there until noon the next day. With the help of a hot bath, heating pad and a few ibuprofen I was able to fight off the dreaded infection. Yeah for me!

It was wonderful to have my dad here for one short week. We had lots of fun and truly enjoyed his company. We took him to Incredible Pizza where we gorged on food, watched an old Jerry Lewis movie "The Patsy" and played fun arcade games. He even gave all his tickets to Claire and Jane. What a nice Grandpa!

One day while he was taking Hank for a ride around the block, Hank noticed a girl about his size riding a two-wheeler without training wheels. At that moment Hank decided he was ready to get rid of his own training wheels and he convinced Grandpa to teach him to ride solo.


Within five minutes, Hank was a pro...well at least on the balancing part.
Getting on and off the bike is still a challenge and probably will be until we buy a smaller bike or Hank grows a few inches.

Grandpa is the master at putting little babies to sleep and he worked his magic on Walter many times!
Poor little Walter didn't have a chance at keeping those eyes open when Grandpa got a hold of him. I love that my dad loves to hold my babies.

One day Dad and I made bread together...and by day I mean ALL DAY! It took forever! We did our best but didn't have the best luck with the second rise. I think I was too impatient and just wanted to get that bread baking! It tasted great but was a little dense. William actually refused to eat it after his first slice because it tasted too good. He accused us of using white flour and said the bread was unhealthy and not fit for eating. Well he didn't go that far, but he just wasn't digging in like he usually does with homemade bread. I assured him that the first batch had only one cup of white flour (by accident) and that bread was gone already. The loaf that was left was made from all whole white wheat and was indeed very nutritious. I think I convinced him, but the next day he left and hasn't made it home yet. I'm sure the kids and I will have it gone before he arrives back home.

Oh, one more bit of news. I know this is dragging on forever but I just have to share. About five years ago William and I set the goal to pay off our house by December 2008.

This is what I've had on my chalkboard for the last four and a half years. It even made it through the move with us from Indiana. I almost can't bear to wipe it off!

We made a plan, stuck to it (even when we moved and purchased a new home) and with lots of self discipline we have met our goal!

As of Monday May 5th 2008 we are officially DEBT FREE! Don't be too jealous, just remind yourself that we have 7 people living in a 3 bedroom, 2 bath, 15
00 square foot house. It's a bit cramped at times, but hey...they did it in the old days, why not now? Our next goal is to save, save, save so we can build or buy a larger home with more room to roam. It would be nice to have my living room toy free.

Here I am making the call to make that last payment.



Here is William celebrating his new found freedom!

I apologize for the sleepy eyed photos but I was on the tail end of mastitis...I didn't get all gussied up for the occasion even though I knew there would be pictures. Just keeping it real as Pioneer Woman would say. For any of you who think it seems impossible to pay off you house early, think again. You can do it! Just make a plan and stick with it. It feels so great to not have a mortgage payment due June 1st. I love it!

Thanks William for being such a wonderful, smart, kind, loving and responsible man, husband and father. I love you!




9 comments:

ali said...

i can't even imagine the feeling of freedom. Troy always says he wants to move somewhere cheap so we don't have to pay a ginormous mortgage. Indiana...here we come! Way to be disciplined!

Walter looks darling. Lucy is going to be 6 months before she gets blessed!

Your dad is in such great shape!

these comments are so random!

Marie said...

Ali,

Random posts = random comments.

I love them all!

It's Missouri that has the cheap housing. Come live by me!

Jennifer (Fern) said...

Isn't it such a relief to not have that debt hanging over your head? Good for you!
How awesome to have a dad who'll make bread with you!!

The Close's Place said...

What a sweet boy. How nice to have your dad there with you. Love grandparents!!

Congrats on meeting your goal early!!

kelly said...

yea marie! congratulations!!! So many wonderful things at one time. I'm so happy for you!

Jenibelle said...

That is impressive, all the way around. WOw.

Your little guy is so cute. I want one.

Laurie said...

bvnjaiuuWow! Good for you. Walter is adorable. I'm glad his blessing day went reat and that you are feeling better. Your bread looks yummy!

DebLawson said...

Awesome! Loved this post! Great pics of Grandpa Jerry, it's been a while since I've seen him. He was our bishop when we first moved to Loomis! Chloe was 3 and baby #2 was still in the belly. He has always been such a great guy and I love him! You have a great dad.
Congratulations on paying off the house. What a wonderful feeling it must be! I'm very proud of you guys, you are doing things right.
Hope you fought off that mastitis... I had it twice with my last babe and it was horrible and I was on antibiotics both times... but I didn't give up nursing 'till 21 months! :) but boy, you sure feel horrible!
You are so awesome! Thanks for helping me realize that we need to stay here in Utah so we can easily pay off the 60,000 or so left on our house and try to get to that glorious point of no mortgage payment! Even though we live far away from our dear family, we need to stay here for now since it's best for our 4 girls! and yes, I'm done writing this monster, huge comment.
The end.
~Deb :)

Unknown said...

As a financial guru myself, I can totally and completely appreciate that goal you accomplished. While we are nowhere near there, when we moved 9 months ago, we decided to purchase a house that was $150,000 less than the house we sold instead of getting something bigger and better. I hope to be in your shoes within the next five to eight years. Good job!!